Mental Wellness First Aid: Understanding and Managing Anxiety
EmpathyWorks Psychological Wellness
Anxiety is a normal reaction to challenging situations, such as exams, job interviews or public speaking. A moderate level of anxiety can be beneficial, as it alerts us to dangers, helps us to stay focused and motivates us to solve problems. However, when anxiety becomes excessive, persistent and overwhelming such that it affects a person’s daily functioning, that is when the individual experiences an anxiety disorder. There are various effective treatments available for anxiety disorders, and with treatment, a person suffering from an anxiety disorder can still lead productive and fulfilling lives.
In this interactive and educational session, the following topics will be discussed:
- What is anxiety?
- When does anxiety become a disorder?
- Symptoms of anxiety disorders
- Types of anxiety disorders
- Risk factors of anxiety disorders
- Self-help tips for managing anxiety
- How can we support or help someone who experiences anxiety?
- When and how can we seek professional help?